Thursday, January 17, 2008

Shirdi sai have you authored this book on genome? - Part I










With the blessings of shirdi sai and praying to him I started my lecture in the big auditorium of 350 audiences belonging to various categories right from students to professors of various disciplines. Some are not scientist. I wanted one and all to know what I am talking about to make the Genome understandable and hence....

I started with a prelude about Scintillating Primo levi who did something similar with the periodic table of the elements in his autobiographical short stories. He related each chapter of his life to an element one that he had contacts with during the period he was describing.... The same way I read another interesting book on human Genome by Matt Ridley...In his book he says

“I began to think about the Human genome as a sort of autobiography. In its own right, A record written in “genitish,”of all the Vicissitudes and inventions that had characterized the history of our species and its ancestors since the very dawn of life.
Modern genetics is a formidable thicket of jargons.
The human body contains approximately 100 trillion cells. Most of them are less than a tenth of millimeter across. Inside each cell there is a black blob called a Nucleus. Inside the Nucleus are two complete sets of Human genome (Excepting in egg and sperm which has one and red blood cells which has none).One set of genome comes from the mother and other by the father. We are the result after swapping bits of the paternal and maternal chromosomes Called recombination

There are twenty three chapters, called CHROMOSOMES

Each chapter contains several thousands stories, called GENES

Each story is made up of paragraphs, called EXONS which are

Interrupted by advertisements called INTRONS

Each paragraph is made up of words, called CODONS

Each word is written is letters called BASES

There are one billion words in the book that means it makes it as long as 800 bibles. If I read the genome out to you @ one word per second for 8 hrs a day It would take me a centaury to finish reading the book If I write out the Human Genome @one letter per minute, my text would be as long as the river Danube...

After talking on the Human Genome I came and sat amidst a good applause. I was happy that many could appreciate...But I never did aarti to my sai yesterday that was working in my mind....totally into vingjnana (Science) ...that fascinated me....it is all like addiction. Some people get caught in agnana (not good action) and my sai who is a meignani (person with inner knowledge) will he relish it?

My sai only knows...

Aum Sairam



No comments: